Survival Guide to Homelessness

No matter where you go, there you are.

Monday, January 24, 2005

Reader Tip - Free Showers

I don't know if you only post personal experience or not, but here's one you should know. With the truck stop showers they are FREE if you have a refueling slip. When a trucker fills up his tank he/she gets a refueling slip. They're usually good for a week, and can be redeemed at any truck stop of the same brand as they came from (Pilot, T&A, Flying J, whatever). Most truckers get a stack of these things that they never use. If you're polite they'll usually give you one if you ask. Just hang out by the fuel pumps and catch them coming to or from their trucks. If they say yes, then just hang and be patient and wait until they give it to you. Then you get everything you described for free.

I was homless for almost a year, and then again for a few months, and this was my prefered method of showering and it never cost me a dime.

You're doing a great service and i wish you'd been around when i was doing this. Keep up the good work, and if there's any kind of help you need with the site please feel free to ask. I've worked as a web designer and a copy editor and i'd be more than happy to lend a hand.

Thank you again.

Daniel
hyacintheATgmailDOTcom

3 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger tvpartytonight said...

Thank you for sharing this information. A few friends and I were planning on going homeless for a few days this coming summer. These tips will be very useful. Please keep this up however possible, it is a great tool.

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Mr. Bill said...

Wow, I've read 90% of your site and given that my wife and I are facing homlessness here in Georgia, it's proved to be incredibly interesting. I've read the remarks from your detractors and find their comments "unenlightned". Keep it up! Many of the conclusions and strategies stated here are going to be increasingly invaluable given a true unemployment rate of 17% nationally (source is Clark Howard WSB tv channel 2 atlanta.) I lost both my parents last year and me and my wife spent half of 2008 in hospice with them. When I got out - there were no jobs here where I live. Best of luck to everyone. P.S. Wal Mart really is the safest overnight car camp that you don't have to drive around wasting gas looking for.

 
At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have access to a campground, most have showers there as well.

 

Post a Comment