Survival Guide to Homelessness

No matter where you go, there you are.

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Letter to Cool Publisher

To: [Cool Book Publishing Firm]

Dear [Cool Book Editor],

I am in the midst of writing a book which teaches how to live well while homeless. A review of your online catalogue reveals several similar books, including ['Nuther Homelessness Book], which gives information on being homeless in a traditional way, the life, to use a crude term, of a bum. My book will offer readers an alternative to this stereotypical lifestyle, and will make a nice companion to that work in the catalogue or on the shelf. I propose a lifestyle which has all the advantages and freedoms that attend a rent free life, without the social stigma. My guide will teach methods of being homeless undetectably, invisibly. A person living as I recommend will be welcome in restaurants, malls, schools and at social events. When he walks onto a car dealership, a salesman will try to sell him a car. He will be employable. He will have options to change or maintain his lifestyle.

I spent nearly five years, from mid-1996 to the beginning of 2001, homeless, or as I liked to call it with a distributed household. I had storage, shelter, mailbox, telephone, shower, bathroom facilities, cooking equipment, and transportation, even access to television, radio, computer equipment, and ac power. I had the essence of a home. It was simply more geographically scattered than is traditional in our culture. My techniques could be adapted to anyone's tastes and talents, and to the resources available anywhere.

I have enclosed a topic outline of the proposed book, several sample sections, and a self addressed stamped envelope for your convenience. There is no need to return any of the submitted materials. Thank you for considering my Survival Guide to Homelessness.

Sincerely,

Mobile Homemaker

Sent: 5 November 2004
Names omitted to protect the guilty.

3 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Lioness said...

Well Dahling, good luck. GOOD LUCK! I know you'll get it, eventually. I know you will.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger nichole said...

Yes, good luck! I understand why you kept the publisher anonymous, but I'd gladly urge them to publish your book if you emailed me their info. I could play up my librarian cred, if that would help.

Thanks for writing this excellent blog.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Mobile Homemaker said...

Jeremy, thank you for asking. All the information on this site is copyrighted, however, I would be delighted if you handed out copies, so long as you did not do so at a profit. Just make sure the URL http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/ is on each page you hand out.

Eventually I will complete the work, and will probably offer an ebook for sale at a nominal price from this site. It will include much more material than is on the website now.

As for contributions, they are always welcomed, never mandatory.

 

Post a Comment